Saturday, September 11, 2010

Utah and Wyoming at 75 miles per hour








We had no idea of the magnificent countryside that lay in store for us as we traveled through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Colorado. As we continued heading east on I-80 in Nevada the first day, I was snapping pictures out the car window fearing I would miss shots of the interesting and ever changing terrain. In fact the majority of pictures I took on the trip were from the car window as I was confined to moving about on one foot. So very frustrating for a photographer. We did stop at Echo Reservoir for about 15 minutes to stretch. The website for US Parks shows where this is on the map in Utah http://www.us-parks.com/bor/echo-reservoir/echo-reservoir.html Also, as promised, I've included a few shots through my squashed bug filter (AKA the windshield). The AAA book mentioned some points of interest along I-80 East but we were anxious to arrive in Colorado Springs for the onset of Labor Day week-end and 4 wonderful days with Ryan and Sadie. One point in particular tickled our curiosity and that was a two ton, 13.5 foot tall statue of Abraham Lincoln that sits smack dab on I-80 between Laramie and Cheyenne, Wyoming, http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/8450. Evidently the statue was sculpted by a University of Wyoming Professor in honor of our 16th President's 150th birthday and used to sit along the Lincoln Hwy. Makes sense. However, according to the website the statue was moved when I-80 was completed in 1969. We didn't stop but I did catch a shot as we whizzed by. We made it as far as Cheyenne, Wyoming the 2nd day and stayed at a hotel called Little America Hotel, http://www.littleamerica.com/cheyenne/?gclid=CMGhn_Peh6QCFQY-bAodt1_JHQ. It was a great place with a very good restaurant called Hathaway's AND a gift shop. Dean was all worn down from all the driving (I can't drive right now you know) and in his weakened state he ended up buying me a beautiful white on white embroidered blouse with mother of pearl buttons and a waist length, taupe colored, water repellent jacket. Score!!!
From Cheyenne it is only about a 3 hour drive to Colorado Springs................................

No comments:

Post a Comment