Monday, June 29, 2009

Amador Week-end Winetasting



Last week-end we went up to Amador County with our friends Shankar and Usha Prasad. They brought their 15 year old son Thajus and their neighbors Ron and Eunice. I don't think I ever did catch their last name. After a few winery stops for tasting (www.karmere.com and www.wilderottervineyard.com) we pulled into the Amador Flower Farm. We found countless varieties of lilies of all colors in bloom. Except for the 106 degree temperature, it was a beautiful site and a lovely walk (watch for rattlesnakes the sign said). Our final winery at the end of the day was Mt. Aukum, www.mountaukum.com. We had to travel about 3 miles up a steep hill but beautiful view of the valley and great wine. Well worth the detour off the wine trail. Dean and I purchased 4 bottles, 2 of the 2006 Malbec and 2 of the 2006 Syrah. While our friends were purchasing wine by the cases, we were playing it pretty conservatively.
Sticky and sweaty from the heat of the day we needed to find our accomodations. Shankar had a colleague who had retired and opened a Bed and Breakfast on the Shennendoah Wine Trail called Lucinda's Country Inn, http://www.lucindascountryinn.com/. What better idea than to wine taste all day, stay at a lovely, new B&B and dine out with friends? We ate dinner that evening 3 miles from the B&B at a delicious restaurant called Gold Vine Grill, www.goldvinegrill.com. Two in the group had the salmon special and I partook in the chicken marsala. I have forgotten what the others had but we all agreed in was yummy and we would definitely go back. The next day I was somewhat hung over but was revived by a great breakfast at the B&B of homemade waffles, sausage, muffins and fresh strawberries. From there more wine tasting ensued and I think we stopped 4 more times. We had fun tasting "futures" from the barrel at Perry Creek, www.perrycreek.com. We finished the day off with a fabulous lunch at Bocconato Trattoria, www.bocconato.com. Dean and I both had the pork ravioli which the chef makes fresh the minute you order it. It was the best pasta I have ever had. Except for the heat it was a nice trip and a treat to get away for the week-end. Much cheaper than Napa and not any further to drive. Each place we stopped gets a high recommend.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, wine tasting. Can't wait to see the rest, and I love your floppy hat. I borrow Matthew's hat on a regular basis, but it is not floppy, Curt called it my s%#t kicker hat. It makes me feel very Kevin Bacon in Tremors.

    ReplyDelete