Monday, October 12, 2009

Small Grandchildren Calling


This afternoon I was at work busy typing up notes from a meeting and my cell phone rang, it was my eight year old granddaughter calling to tell me she had just gotten a cell phone from Jason, her mother's boyfriend/notyetfiance. She chatted excitedly for a minute and then asked if I wanted to talk with her brother? More importantly, did he want to talk to me? You see Landon is all if 3 years old and is quite decisive about who he will talk to on the phone and who he will not talk to. I probably have not had the honor in about a year. But, today, he has consented. "Hi grandma! I'm playing with my hotwheels!" "Wow, I tell him, that sounds like a lot of fun." I'm suppose to be working and I'm discussing play activities with my grandchildren. Hope no one in the surrounding cubicles is listening, well fuck them if they are. Brooklyn gets back on the phone and tells me before calling me she had just had a nice conversation with her friend from soccer named Pickles. "Why do you call her Pickles I ask?" Brooklyn hmmms and haaahs and says, "well I don't really know but she is really nice." I caution her that she might be using up too many cell phone minutes and she suddenly agrees. "Yes, I need to go" she says.

On the drive home from work I tell Dean I had a call from Brooklyn and Landon on Brooklyn's new cell phone and he is instantly disturbed about the idea of an eight year old with a cell phone. In the back of my mind I completely agree but the whole experience was so darn cute and she was so excited. Was it Dylan, all those years ago, that said?, "...the times they are a'changin"

Sweet "B", she is like my own.


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, an 8 year old with a cell phone is kinda disturbing, but a little girl calling her grammy, that is just sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing Madison doesn't have one. Since she never stops talking there would most likely be a huge phone bill.
    sister1

    ReplyDelete